Kathak Dance follows a certain Dancing sequence that is said to be Manch Pradarshan (मंच प्रदर्शन) which Kathak dancer has to follow. Whether it is Kathak or any other Indian Classical Dance form, there is a set and systematic pattern in terms of dance sequence being presented by the dancers. For instance:
According to the dancing order of the Bharatanatyam, it has been presented in the following sequence:
Or if we take any other Indian Classical Dance form, like Kathakali-
The dancing order of the Kathakali, it has been presented in the following sequence:
In the same manner, Kathak also follows a certain Dance order that is said to be Manch Pradarshan (मंच प्रदर्शन) which dancer has to follow-
- Vandana or Stuti
- Chakkardar Paran
- Gat Nikas/ Gat Bhav
- Thumri/ Bhajan/ Pad
- Vandana or Stuti : Often the beginning of the Kathak i.e commencement of the dance performance ( Manch Pradaarshan/ मंच प्रदर्शन ) starts with a Vandana or Stuti like Guru Vandana, Ganesh Vandana, Shiva Vandana, or Vishnu Vandana, etc.
- Uthan: After Vandana Kathak artist presents Uthan on Vilambit laya and attracts the attention of the viewers.
- Thaat: While presenting Uthan, once Vilambit laya imposed artist take a position that is called Thaat Bandhana i.e. standing in a graceful position or particular posture and present Thaat on a small bol.
- Aamad: Artist headed towards Aamad and present Aamdad on the bol of ता थैई तत तत थैई.
- Tode: After Aamad Laya pick the speed and gradually headed to Madhya Laya. This is the part where Kathak artist present pure Dance i.e. Nritta element. All Tode, Tukde, Paran, Chakkardar Paran, Tihhai is been presented.
- Kavit: After performing the pure dance i.e. Nritta Kathak dancer take the step towards Kavit that is the Nritya element of the dance. Kavit related to Krishna, Shiva, etc. But this part of the Kathak or dancing sequence of the Kathak is mostly presented in Jaipur Gharana, Kathak is associated with Katha and Kavit fulfill this element of Kathak.
- Gat Nikas/ Gat Bhava: Kavit is the way to present Katha i.e. story and Gat Nikas is the way to present a special movement in Taal Badh formation while Gat Bhava is to present Bhava i.e. emotion and expression on a particular story like Radha Krishna Ched Chad etc. Gat Bhava is like mono play where there are no words, the artist plays only on expressions.
- Thumri/Bhajan/Pad: Thumari or Bhajan or Pad has been a part of Kathak since ancient times that is related to temples. Where Kathak artist presents the Bhakti Bhava to the viewers.
- Tatkar/Ladi: This is the last and crucial part of Kathak. An artist shows his/her expertise in Kathak by footwork.
FAQ’S Related To Dancing Sequence of Kathak Dance
Is the above dancing sequence of kathak is being strictly perfomed?
If the Kathak dancer has a small duration of time to perform then the above sequence can be narrowed accordingly.
About The Author: – Neha Khunteta
She Is A Kathak Artist And Has Been Associated With It For More Than 10 Years And The Founder Of Kathak By Neha The Best Kathak Dance Academy In Jaipur.
Hope this blog helps you in some other way; feel free to contact us on
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or +91-8619116616